the challenge - plastic pollution
Our oceans are drowning in plastic!
- 150 million tons of plastic is drifting in the ocean today.
- Almost eight million tons of plastic leaks into the ocean each year, and China and Indonesia are the highest contributors in the world.
- Imagine one Asian elephant weighing on average three tons. Now turn that into plastic and visualise 1,221 Asian elephants walking into the ocean every day – this is how much plastic Indonesia leaks into the ocean. Every day!
- If we don’t change our behaviour, it is expected that there will be more plastic than fish (by weight) in our oceans by 2050.
- Jesika, Student at SDN 5 Tonja
Photo: © Troy Mayne / WWF